- Art & Culture
Piazza Ducale in Vigevano
You will be enchanted by one of the most beautiful Renaissance squares
Piazza Ducale in Vigevano is one of the finest examples of a Renaissance piazza, even if it's not completely faithful to the original design.
The square (134 metres long and 48 wide) was built between 1492 and 1494 at the behest of Ludovico Sforza, known as "il Moro". Houses in this commercial district were torn down during its construction to prevent the square from being constricted or compromised in any way. Its structure is not exclusively from the 15th century: several changes were made in the late 17th century by Juan Caramuel Lobkowitz.
Lobkowitz commissioned the construction of the grand staircase of the Bramante Tower, replacing the ramp flanked by two staircases, and erected the new facade of the cathedral in Baroque style. The statue of St. John of Nepomuk was placed in Piazza Ducale in 1731. Three sides of the square are also decorated with frescoes dating back to the early years of the 20th century, yet executed following the ancient 15th-century fresco found under the plaster, integrating it with the Renaissance-style decorations.
Piazza Ducale still continues to be the heart of the city of Vigevano, a space where people come to relax or enjoy shopping under the arcades.