- Art & Culture
Visconti Castle of Pandino
Visconti Castle of Pandino is one of the best examples of fortified structures of its century.
Via Castello, 15 Pandino (CR)
The castle was commissioned in 1355 by the Lord of Milan, Bernabò Visconti, and is one of the best examples of fortified structures of its century.
It was meant to be a countryside residence where the Lord of Milan could engage in one of his favourite pursuits: hunting. The design is similar to other buildings of this period with a square base, corner towers, courtyard and porticos with lancet arches surmounted by a loggia. The castle’s original decorations in the portico, loggia and halls, mainly featuring floral and geometrical motifs, are extremely well preserved and a good reason alone to visit the castle. Today the whole complex is owned by the local municipality and houses the local public library in its stables, whereas the halls are used for cultural events as well as painting and photography exhibitions.