- Art & Culture
One of the most beautiful ornaments of the city is this hospital that <<for its grandeur, for the rich Foundations of its benefactors, for its excellent and appropriate construction, for its incomparable administration and cleanliness>>. The construction of the building began in 1459 on the site of an ancient, pre-existing hospital, thanks to the design of architects Giovanni Battista Comazzo and Beltramo Pandini. The next century, Pellegrino Tibaldi enlarged the building in the year 1571, and Giuseppe Piermarini rebuilt the façade in neoclassical style in 1793. The internal courtyard houses the Cloister enriched with terracotta decorations dating back to 1473 and the Chapter Room - frescoed with grotesques - which houses part of the Collection of Anatomical Preparations of the scientist “Paolo Gorini”, a native of Pavia and then a resident of Lodi.