- Art & Culture
- Religious Tourism
Chiesa di Sant'Agnese
The church of Sant'Agnese was built in the XIV century, passing, in 1351, to the Order of Saint Augustine.
The church of Sant'Agnese was built in the XIV century, passing, in 1351, to the Order of Saint Augustine. At the end of the century, Bishop Bonifacio Botticella had it extended and decorated.
The Order of Saint Augustine remained until 1523, and the church passed on to the Canons Regular of the Lateran, who remained for only five years and were in turn replaced by the Eremetical Order of Saint Augustine until it was suppressed in 1798. The church then became a branch of the church of San Lorenzo.
The church’s façade has a raised pediment at its centre and is divided into three sections by brick semi-columns. In the lateral sections there are high single-lancet windows, in the centre is a rose window and the splayed central door, is decorated with plates and tiles in multi-coloured majolica.
The interior has three naves with robust cylindrical pilasters supporting acute rounded arches, with cross vaults, ending in a polygonal apse, with a spherical vault with bullnose edged ribs.
In the first altar to the right is the great polyptych “Galliani” by Alberto Piazza; while in the central apse is the prized XV century crucifix.
Openings from 8 a.m. to 11.30 a.m.
Holy mass: 9 a.m.
Holy mass during holidays: 10.30 a.m.