- Art & Culture
- Religious Tourism
The Cathedral is located at the end of Favagrossa Street. It is a Neo-Classical building built at the half of the 19th Century.
Casalmaggiore’s Cathedral is located at the end of Favagrossa street, among the Neo-Classical palaces Camozzi and Mina-Tentolini.
The Cathedral, dedicated to St. Stefano, is a big Neo-Classical church of the half of the 19th Century.
Casalmaggiore’s Cathedral was started in 1840 thanks to a donation of Giovanni Vicenza Ponzone. The project was carried out by the architect Fermo Zuccari. Later, from 1897 to 1899, it was built the bell-tower by the same architect, thanks to the legacy of Bianca Contesini. The construction works ended in 1846 and the Cathedral was opened to the public in 1861.
The Cathedral has a Greek cross structure and it is divided in three naves with some lateral chappels and a big apse. The huge dome is 60 meters high and it is supported by 16 arcades. Inside of the Cathedral there are some monuments by Pietro Civeri dedicated to Giovanni Vicenza Ponzone and Luigi Chiozzi. Several sculptures and paintings decorate the environment. In the apse it is represented the Martyrdom of Saint Stephen by Pietro Verzetti.