In Vercurago, the places of Lucia and the Promessi Sposi
Five kilometres from the city of Lecco, in Vercurago, is a pleasant walk up to the Castello dell’Innominato, ideal on a sunny day, completing the Manzoni tour.
The clearing where Castello dell’Innominato is located is approximately 180 metres above the lake. Seeing it from below gives one the idea of the strategic importance of the location, with views out towards the plains of Lecco and the hills of Monte di Brianza.
On the cliff are the ruins of the castle, a small square surround with a large, chipped tower, reduced, in 1902 into becoming a chapel in memory of San Girolamo Emiliani, the founder of the Somaschi congregation. At its centre a large cross replaces the one erected in the Sixteenth century to honour the saint.
At the entrance is the little church dedicated to the Virgin Mary and to Sant’Ambrogio; in the square are the first stones marking the border dispute resolved in 1756, while there are a number of other memorial stones with crosses or dates inscribed on the hill above.