- Art & Culture
- Religious Tourism
Crema’s Cathedral, entitled to the Holy Lady, is one of the most ancient and interesting monuments in the town.
Crema’s Cathedral, dedicated to the Holy Lady, is located on a very ancient place where, already in the 11th Century, it had been built a Cathedral which was then destroyed by the Barbarossa in 1160.
The modern Cathedral has a ‘Gothic-lombardic' style and it was built from 1185 to 1341 in Cistercian style. Later the building was completed with some votive frescoes. The bell tower was built in the 13th and 14th Century.
The Cathedral is characterized by a quite slim facade which ends with a gallery. The portal is decorated by a lunette (which probably belonged to the previous cathedral) and a group of statues which represent the Lady and the Child accompanied by two Saints.
The wonderful marble rose window has 16 petals. The inner part is divided in three naves of five spans. The apse has a typical Cistercian architecture.
In Crema’s Cathedral you can admire several artworks, probably made by the painter Vincenzo Cremasco from Crema, who was active in the first years of the 16th Century. However, the real hearth of the Cathedral is represented by the wooden crucifix of the 13th Century.