- Active & Green
- Art & Culture
A literary name was given to Eupilio, between Lake Segrino and Lake Pusiano
Eupilio lies on the slopes of Mount Cornizzolo, in a hilly stretch of land between Lake Segrino and Lake Pusiano.
This municipality was created in 1927, when Penzano (which also included the villages of Corneno and Galliano) and Carella with Mariaga were merged into one.
This new place was given a literary name to encompass all its various sub-divisions taken from Eupilis Lacus out of the Historia naturalis by Pliny the Elder, namely Lake Pusiano, also mentioned in Parini’s text “vago Eupili mio”. The lake in fact dominates this whole area with its calming peace and quiet and slow, rarefied pace. The water flows down from the mountain into Lake Segrino, then along the valley and through this town into Lake Pusiano.
This landscape, which combines the gentle Brianza hills (indeed it is liminal to the lands historically considered part of Brianza) with the first steep slopes of the Pre-Alps, is also striking for its large number of churches: five in Eupilio alone, with its 2,000 inhabitants, one for each sub-division of the municipality and all built between the thirteenth and the sixteenth centuries.
These churches, dedicated to San Giorgio in Corneno, San Vincenzo in Galliano, San Cristoforo in Mariaga, San Martino in Carella, and San Lorenzo in Penzano, were often visited by San Carlo Borromeo, who liked to include them in his pastoral wanderings.