- Art & Culture
Teatro Amilcare Ponchielli
The current building dates back to 1747 when a group of noblemen decided to present the town with a public theatre to replace previous aristocratic ones. Cremonese architect Giovanni Battista Zaist was put in charge of the project and the theatre was
named after Nazari, the Marquis who ordered the construction. It was destroyed by fire in 1806, rebuilt by architect Luigi Canonica and given the name Concordia Theatre. In 1824 the structure was partially destroyed in another fire and it was renovated to its
current appearance, by architects Faustino Rodi and Luigi Voghera: at the beginning of the 20th century it became the Amilcare Ponchielli Theatre, in honour of the great Cremonese opera composer. The interior is horseshoe-shaped with a large area of stalls, three rows of boxes, circle and gods and it is elegantly decorated with gold and ivory stucco work.
Visite solo su prenotazione