- Art & Culture
Pieve della Mitria
We move on to the heart of the Garza valley, some miles from the city of Brescia, where, isolated in the greenery, stands the impressive Pieve della Mitria.
It likely owes its name to the bishop's headdress, known as "mitra", pictured on the signboard of an inn in a nearby hamlet. The church, with an adjacent building for the reception of pilgrims, was first built on the remains of a place of worship shortly after the year 1000, likely at the time of the Christianisation of the valley. It was later expanded and remodelled, mostly during significant works carried out in the fifteenth century. It is a gabled structure: the external façade dates back to the end of 1400, while the portal is of a later period. Don't miss the decorative paintings inside the church, consisting of exquisite religious frescoes from different periods.