- Art & Culture
SAN FELICE CASTLE
Castles at San Felice del Benaco
The first mention of the castle of San Felice dates back to 1330 when the Scaligeri (Scala family) in the context of the many wars between Guelphs and Ghibellines, aspired to the dominion of Brescia. At the beginning of 1521, San Felice arranged to pay the municipality costs of reconstructing the castle. With only the corner tower remaining, the main tower entrance was transformed in the eighteenth century into a peaceful venue of the concert of bells. The other two sides collapsed and were destroyed with the only building left being the little Church. The ruins of the castle currently house the old cemetery and the only surviving tower of the fortress was converted into a charnel house.