- Art & Culture
Churches in Albosaggia
SANTA MARIA DEI MOSCONI
The Church of the Annuanciation was built between 1490 and 1495 at the entrance of the Livrio valley. The church is also known as Santa Maria dei Mosconi: the name comes from the De Mosconibus family, that financed the construction.
For a long time, the small church was a landmark for shepherds, wayfarers and the quarrymen who worked in the several iron mines in the surroundings.
The church was restored in 1730 and ten years later two lateral chapels and a wide colonnade were built, while the bells were added only in 1896.
The construction works began in 1354 and the building took its present form in the 17th century, when the original structure was deeply modified. The works involved craftsmen from Ticino who belonged to the circle of Gaspare Aprile da Carona, a great architect of the time.
The six side chapels house refined decorations by different authors, two remarkable paintings by Giovan Battista Recchi and an altarpiece by Cesare Ligari portaying the Death of Saint Joseph (1739).
Next to the church there is a graveyard and an ossuary, but also the Oratory of Saint Ciriaco, built at the end of the 16th Century as the seat of the Confraternity of the Most Holy Sacrament.