- Art & Culture
Ecclesiastical complex of St. George
The buildings that belong to this complex, that is the Parish Church of Saint George, the Oratory of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, the Oratory of the Announciation, the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, the ossuary and the parish house - were built in differents times; the whole complex was probably built on the ruins of an ancient fortified building.
Parish Church of Saint George: its most interesting features are the bell tower built in 1510, the frescoes on the main portal and, inside, the altarpiece by Ceranino portraying the Martyrdom of Saint George.
Oratory of Our Lady of Mount Carmel: it was probably built on the initiative of the noble Venosta family; its simple structure emphasizes the cycle of frescoes by Sigismondo De Magistris, one of the very first artpieces in a Reinassance style in Valtellina.
An internal courtyard leads to the Oratory of the Announciation, built upon an ancient ossuary; in 1700 its facade became the back wall of the new Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, built on an ancient graveyard.
The parish house overlooks the main square of the town and features some interesting architectural elements dating back to the Medieval and Reinassance age. The building seems to date back the 15th Century and embeds some pre-existing Medieval walls that are thought to belong to a fortified building.
A sober painting in Reinassance style decorates the main facade of the house; inside there are several painted medallions, dedicated to the previous archpriests and a refined frescoed room.
The remarkable rooms have ancient coffered ceilings and a beautiful stüa.
Photo - Parrocchia di Montagna in Valtellina