- Art & Culture
Church of San Giorgio
Consecrated in 1313, the parish church of San Giorgio is a small masterpiece of 14th century Lombard architecture.
Located in the main square, it has a nave and two aisles. The façade is embellished by a rose window and a fresco portraying Saint Christopher. The floor is entirely made by black marble of Varenna.
The baroque altar, with black and red marbles, was inaugurated in 1822.
Beautiful frescoes adorn the inside of the church: the portrayal of Hell on the counter-façade; two figures on the columns, probably representing Saint Gregory the Great and Queen Theodelinda; St. Benedict and other figures in the south chapel.
The Polyptych of Saint George, painted by Jo Pietro Brentani in 1467 is a notable example of art in Giotto’s style. It represents the Virgin on a throne offering a fruit to the Child, who is standing on her knees and blessing. To the right of the Virgin is St. Peter martyr of Verona; to her left is St. George. On the sides are four Saints: St. Lawrence, St. John the Baptist, St. Stephen and St. Agnese. Above are the Crucifixion, the Archangel Gabriel and the Annunciation.
The altarpiece, made by Sigismondo De’ Magistris, from Como, dates back to 1533. It represents the Baptism of Christ, with the Lord kneeling on a rock emerging from the Jordanian river, while St. John the Baptist pours water on his head. The pedestal represents the Virgin holding the Child in her arms; two Angels and two Saints attend.
The Polyptich of the 16th century altar is a composition of wooden tablets made in the 1500s, author unknown. It represents various saints and was the altarpiece until the second half of the 16th century, whena decree established that wooden altars were to be replaced by marble ones.
The Polyptich of the Saints is a very complex Altarpiece from 1594, originally bigger, representing four Saints: St. Caterina d’Alessandria, St. Lucy, St. Mary Magdalene and St. Apollonia.
Two other remarkable works are the altar and the statue of the Madonna del Rosario, the first made of grey marble, the second made of golden wood.
The Confessional, made by Giovanni Albiolo from Bellagio, is dated back to 1690. Four Caryatids are sculpted on it as well as the two small statues on the corners, representing King David and Elia the Prophet.
Before the sacristy is the stone group of the "Pietà", dated back to the end of the 15th century. It’s a stone sculpture with the Virgin in the middle and the Lord’s arms which vertically divides the painting.
On the north wall is the Baptismal Font, in a recess with a basin made of black marble from Varenna and a small wrought iron gate.
The sacristy, instead, is from the mid 18th century.
The bell tower was completed in 1653. Its massive body, standing on four pinnacles, seems a tower with natural stone at the corners.
HOLY MASS times: Saturday at 6:00 pm | Sunday at 10.30 am and 06:00 pm
Open every days from 09.00 am to 07.00 pm