- Art & Culture
Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie
Small 17th century church in the heart of Varenna.
Piazza San Giorgio, 23829, Varenna (LC)
Inaugurated on September 8th, 1685, the little church was originally dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene and St. Anthony of Padua. In 1896, when the Oratory of Villa Monastero was moved there, it was restored and took the added the title of "Santa Maria delle Grazie".
The Baroque wooden altar, with two helical columns, came from the Oratory of Villa Monastero. It was made by Giovan Pietro Capiago from Como in 1681. In the small recess there is a much older wooden statue of the Virgin with Child, perhaps from a previous altar.
In the small nave there are Baroque statues of the Beata Vergine Addolorata, St. Teresa d'Avila, St. Gertrude and St. Eurosia. The church hosts an oil painting of St. Mary Magdalene and an oil painting of St. Anthony, both by 18th century unknown painters.
(Text adapted from “Documentazione storica sulle Chiese di Varenna”, Edizione Antica Pieve di San Giorgio, Lauro Consonni)
Open everyday from 09.00 am to 07.00pm