- Active & Green
- Art & Culture
The medieval splendor come alive in today's Pavia.
The Visconti Park of Pavia is part of the Visconti Castle, both of which were built starting in 1360 and completed in 1366. The Visconti created these gardens as a "place of delight", intended to accommodate the leisurely moments of the court and to serve as a hunting reserve. The park is characterised by its large size and rich array of flora and fauna. Its design was based on the ideal model proposed by medieval treatises and a large and flat, fertile land, rich in water and vegetation, was chosen as its location.
The Visconti Park, divided between the old park and the new park, was surrounded by walls and populated by wild and exotic animals, most likely inspired by the hunting parks of Federico II. In addition to woodlands, the park is also populated by various species, along with fields cultivated with rye, wheat and vines. The fame of this garden spread throughout Europe until the Visconti Park was used as a model for all the royal parks until the 18th century.