- Cycle Tourism
- Active & Green
Between Ticino and Oglio
Artificial canals, aristocratic villas and historic towns with spectacular examples of industrial archaeology to discover by bike
The itinerary from the Ticino to Oglio rivers makes use of the waterstreams that flow north of Milan. Among breathtaking mansions and gardens, you will visit the Region's northeastern cities and countryside sceneries.
Monza, Bergamo and Brescia are destinations you cannot miss during this journey. A total of 280 km available for everyone to travel without a hurry along 10 stops.
1. The Panperduto dam, a 19th-century hydraulic architectural jewel, built near Somma Lombardo, where the Villoresi canal separates from the Ticino river.
2. The 16th-century Villa Borromeo Visconti Litta in Lainate, around ten kilometres from Milan, with its notable water features.
3. The trails, are perfect for mountain bikes, through the oak woods and moors of the Parco Regionale delle Groane, the largest protected area on the plain.
4. The Museo del Presepio di Dalmine, near Bergamo, which contains over 900 representations of the Nativity from all over the world.
5. The Monastero di Astino, at the entrance to Bergamo, and the adjacent “Biodiversity valley”, where 1500 plant species grow, many of which are edible.
6. The “torta polenta e osei”, made with marzipan and decorated with little chocolate birds, Bergamo’s traditional dessert. In Bergamo Alta, you can find the best stracciatella ice cream.
7. The ascent to Monte Maddalena, from Brescia. Challenging, but panoramic, with many alternative routes for mountain bikes.
8. Polenta and Gorgonzola DOP: two of Lombardy’s outstanding products, which are best-enjoyed in the Bergamo area and Brescia valleys, after, rather than during, a cycle trip.
9. Once a sixteenth-century forge at the start of the Val Trompia, the Museo I Magli di Sarezzo explores the tradition of iron-working in the Brescia area.
10. The Ciclovia Sud del Mella, from Brescia to Pontevico. A flat route, best-suited to mountain bikes, passing through the Parco dello Strone.