- Art & Culture
- Active & Green
Mirabello Casatta, Monza
Villa Mirabello was built by the Durini family, owners of the feud of Monza, on the ruins of an ancient castle owned by the noble Spanish family of Leyva (from which the Nun of Monza descended).
Villa Mirabello is located on the slope that descends towards the valley of the Lambro river and dominates the woods below.
The villa is a fine example of a 17th-century residence with large halls for parties and receptions inside. It has a U-shaped structure, open towards the river, thus beautifully marking the structural shift from the typical 15th- and 16th-century concept of the walled country palace to the new idea of the palace-villa looking out over the spectacular surrounding garden.
Cardinal Angelo Maria Durini, who lived there between 1776 and 1786, had it renovated and enriched, transforming it into a “place of delights and a literary coterie”. You will be enchanted by the frescoes and decorations of considerable artistic value, as well as by the fine wooden coffered ceilings that dominate the rooms.