Terme delle Piscine Airone
The chance discovery of an extremely pure natural spring has made Goito a spa destination
Via Mussolina 2/B, Sacca di Goito, Mantova (MN)
In addition to being the only spa in the province of Mantua, Piscine Airone in Goito is also the newest in the whole of Lombardy.
Thirty years ago, not only did this resort in the Parco del Mincio park not exist, but nobody knew about the warm underground sulphureous waters. Discovered quite
by chance while drilling, for a while they were used for watering vegetable gardens and cattle fodder.
Then came the idea of using them to fill a pool and with it the revelation of their beneficial properties, later confirmed by scientific analyses. It is now certain that these waters classified as containing sulphur, chloride and sodium, are effective in rehabilitation treatments, useful for of vascular diseases, for ear, nose and throat
infections and in dermatology.
They are also extraordinarily pure, the result of rain that fell centuries and centuries ago –in the sixteenth century say experts, during the rule of the House of Gonzaga–which then remained in the depths of the earth for a long, long time, enriching with minerals as it filtered down.
To optimise this huge legacy, the Airone resort has eight pools, five indoor and three outdoor. Protected by walls of windows, guests can enjoy an Olympic-size pool for swimming, a semi-circular 32°C pool with seats and hydromassage jets; a Kneipp session, with alternating hot (32°C) and cold (16°C) water; a raised pool used for fitness courses and exercising, and a recreational pool for motor education. In the park, there is another Olympic-size pool, with shallow and deep ends, a kids’ pool, complete with
hydromassage, floats and mushroom stools with waterfalls, and a very hot 38°C pool, which allows guests to swim even in the winter, without any fear of feeling the cold.
In addition to the pools, the spa zone also has a sauna and beauty centre, while three outdoor beach volleyball courts complete the sports options.
5 REASONS TO CHOOSE GOITO
- Goito’s primary role in the War of Independence is commemorated by the Monumento del Bersagliere, in honour of a special Italian army corps, which stands where the Goito state road crosses the River Mincio.
- In springtime, visit Parco Bertone, a park on the Bertone Colarina road. These wonderful gardens are typical of the romantic period. It is home to a centre for the reintroduction of the White Stork.
- The municipality is located within the protected nature reserve of the Parco Regionale del Mincio (www.parcodelmincio.it), with its wealth of biodiversity, history and flavours.
- The Goito area is included in the Mantua food and wine itinerary called La Strada dei Vini e dei Sapori Mantovani (www.viniesaporidilombardia.it).
- Mantua, birthplace of the poet Virgil and a jewel of the Lombardy Rinascimento, is less than 15 km away. Together with Sabbioneta, it has been included
on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 2008