- Art & Culture
- Active & Green
The small red Torre dei Visconti is one of the symbols of Palestro, located on a small side road off Via Vodano and the last vestige of the town's 12th century castle. Palestro is also famous as the site of the first important offensive of the Second Independence War, the victorious battle of 30th and 31st May 1859 in which Savoy troops reconquered the Lomellina area after its occupation by the Austrians.
In 1006 the building for the church was dedicated to St. Martin of Tours (5) which was enlarged in the sixteenth century. Under the direction of architect Locarni during the eighteenth century, the actual church was transformed into the gothic- lombard style facade.
The Pastor and the owners of B&B Ospitaliere La Torre Merlata have the stamp for pilgrims on the Via Francigena.