- Art & Culture
Church of San Giorgio
The Church of San Giorgio, also known as La Canonica, dates to 1186.
The Church of San Giorgio has ancient origins, dating to the 12th century.
In 1186 Pope Urban III of the Crivelli family went to great lengths to found the church under the Rule of St. Augustine. The chosen location was the Church of San Giorgio, built on his paternal land, which had fallen into a state of disrepair.
The building was therefore redeveloped and expanded and the giuspatronato was granted to his family, separating it from the parish churches of Corbetta and Dairago and associating it directly with the Holy See.
The Church of San Giorgio was therefore served by the canons of Crescenzago until 1498 and then given in commendam to Antonio Stanga who, despite agreeing to build a new church, pulled out in 1512.
The building was returned to the Crivelli family, in the person of Tommaso, who sold all the possessions of the provostship.
In 1528 architect Martino Bassi completed the redevelopment of the Church of San Giorgio with the help of master builders Bernardo and Giacomo Mottello of Lonate.
In 1772 La Canonica was suppressed and once again came under ordinary ecclesiastical jurisdiction. In its current guide, the church is 17th century in style with its late-Gothic bell tower decorated with double-arched windows and little arches.
The majestic prothyrum, the light-coloured little covered portico, contrasts with the rest of the facade with its red bricks. Inside there is a 13th century columned crypt-baptistery which housed the bodies and relics of martyrs.