• Art & Culture

House in via Roi

The building, now unhinabited, is located in the main street of Caiolo, closed to the Town hall. The facade overlooking the street was built in the Seventeenth-century, while the rear of the building is taller and older. The most interesting feature of this house is its stone portal with a polygonal architrave, dating back to 1678. The entrance leads to a portico with stone flooring and cross-vaulted ceiling sustained by a nice stone column. The portico used to house a winepress, but nowadays the only testimony to winemaking is the manhole that led to the tank used to gather must. A stone staircase leads to the upper floors, which feature wide rooms with vaulted ceilings and sotone floorings and, in some cases, a fireplace. The house was built in the 17th century and underwent several changes until the beginning of the 20th century, when it was abandoned.