- Active & Green
- Art & Culture
- Religious Tourism
From Lake Ceresio to Lake Maggiore through Valcuvia
This itinerary starts from the lakeside of Ponte Tresa and proceeds in the direction of Cadegliano Viconago to Cugliate Fabiasco in which, with a small derivation, you can admire the Lake of Ghirla, nestled between the mountains of Valganna.
You will then arrive at Ganna, where you can visit the Badia di San Gemolo and then to Cunardo, where, in Ponte Nativo you can admire Orrido, a karst complex with tunnels and caves, rock that was dug out by water from the Margorabbia stream.
In Camartino you can visit Fornaci Ibis, where you can revive the ancient art of ceramics.
Continuing on you will arrive at Cassano Valcuvia, you can take the path leading to the Church of San Giuseppe, next to which is visible a stretch of the Cadorna Line, a complex system of military structures consisting of a network of trenches with bays for ammunition.
At this point in the itinerary, the route winds in the direction of Rancio Valcuvia, where, making a small detour to Brizio, you can admire the Laghetto di Brinzio and the Parco Regionale Campo dei Fiori. Near Casalzuigno you can visit the Villa della Porta Bozzolo, a splendid 16th century villa-farm with fantastic Italian-style gardens. The last stop on the itinerary is Cittiglio, from which, following the well-marked trails, you can reach the beautiful waterfalls.
- Ghirla Lake, a small lake with glacial origin in the provincia of Varese
- Badia di San Gemolo at Ganna, situated at the crossection of several valleys, formed in the Middle Ages, an important junction and safe haven for pilgrims
- Orrido di Cunardo, a phenomenonal karst not to be missed
-Fornaci Ibis, found at Cunardo in Camartino and can be visited all year round
- Cadorna Line
- Parco del Campo dei Fiori dominates the hilly zone of Varese and hosts varied vegetation, with forests of Chestnut and Beech trees, and some important historical architectural complexes such as the Sacro Monte di Varese
- Laghetto di Brinzio, is a protected oasis of around 20 acres, including the lake, the flat marsh and adjacent wetlands of the valley floor
- Villa Della Porta Bozzolo, seems to be a precious gem set in an impressive terraced park
- Cascate di Cittglio
Locations on the route:
- Ponte Tresa, Cadegliano Viconago, Marchirolo, Cugliate Fabiasco, Ganna, Cunardo, Cassano Valcuvia, Rancio Valcuvia, Cuveglio, Cuvio, Azzio, Casalzuigno, Cittiglio